Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Be Still My Soul: Post-Thanksgiving Thoughts

Thanksgiving 2021 is past. It was not hard for everyone who came to our celebration in Burrows to happily think of something to be grateful to God for. With smiles on every face, especially if one’s name was mentioned in someone else’s praise, we fourteen conducted our usual Five Kernels of Corn ritual, and then paused for a group prayer to thank God for the collective heap of blessings over the past year (5 X 14 = 70) before we dug into the feast. 

One of the things I was thankful for was the water heater, and that I could take nice, warm showers. Since we’re now in the colder months, that is especially important for both our pleasure and our health. Dulcinea was prompted by her mom and thanked God for her pretty brown dress, while Ambrose thanked God for earthworms that aerate the soil.

 

Andrew and Vivi were thankful for Addy’s birth in July. Me too!


Me with Addy on Thanksgiving

 

Chris and Kim were thankful for their marriage in May and that Kim’s pregnancy continues. (We weren’t sure the baby was going to make it, but praise God, Chris and Kim’s “miracle baby” is doing well!)

 

My dad was there, for the first time ever! Mostly, his habit had been to load up in his RV and leave for points south during the winter, but this time, due to the astounding number of illegal border crossers, he wanted to stay in Indiana and be with us, though the drive is long. His “thankfulness” was to be with a large group of relatives who all get along. And I wholeheartedly agree – we have very much to be thankful for with that. 

 

Sam thanked God for a good immune system. Being a fast-food manager, he’s in the presence of many people, all kinds of them, every day, but he has thus far avoided the plague. We are all thankful that we don’t live in California. Hopefully, we’ll continue to be happy that we live in this red state, but our governor is a bit wishy-washy.

 

I am deeply grateful to God that our entire family, anyone who is old enough to talk, at least, knows Jesus Christ as his or her personal savior (and those who can’t talk yet are still covered). I pretty much say that every year, but I’m looking forward to being with them for all eternity. 

 

Meanwhile, to leave the happy scene at the table and think of other tables elsewhere, I know fellow Christians whose hearts are broken this Thanksgiving. One friend lost her husband on Thanksgiving Day. Another decided not to invite their kids to their house because some of them have bad attitudes and they can’t get along. And a few of my relatives still live in California, though I think they will soon make their escape if they can. My uncle, as mentioned last week, has Covid, as do several members of our congregation.


There are people in lockdowns and violent protests all over the world, people with vaccine injuries from 2021 and loss of jobs and businesses from tyrannical mandates, and people who are still being massacred in Nigeria and Afghanistan, while our government turns a blind eye.

 

What will Christmas 2021 be like? Who will be well? How long will the Lord tarry? Will China wipe us out in 2022 or will Russia beat them to it? Or Iran? Will we have food? How expensive can gas get? Nobody knows, but in so many ways, this looks like the long, dark winter of Joe Biden’s self-fulfilling prophecy.

 

I saw a meme that had a guy sheepishly peeking around a door with words to the effect of:

 

“I know I said I was leaving my problems in Your hands, but can I just get a status update?”

 

I laughed because this is the epitome of our bookbinding customers. If we say we’ll get back with them in about 3 weeks or so, they’ll put that date on their calendar and then request a status update first thing in the morning. But it’s me, too. I’ve prayed about all those things in my previous paragraph. Why should I worry about food or gas or war? These are things the world worries about, and though we are in the world, we are not of the world.

 

“In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul.”

~Psalm 94:19


Addy with her Daddy.

 

I know this: God hears our prayers. I know that if He hears, He answers. I know that He is truly on the throne and totally in control. I know that if He is for us, who can be against us? And I know that in the end, He wins. We read a passage in John the other day that looks like Jesus is quoting a passage in the Book of Revelation. The whole Bible speaks of Jesus – all 66 books. And at the end of all time, Jesus will judge the population of the planet – past, present, and future.

 

So, worrying about our future with God in control is just silly. Okay, it’s insane. Knowing the above, the Apostle Paul was nearly stoned to death – or maybe he actually died. But after that, he arose and went back into the same town and preached the Gospel again. Some say he had caught a glimpse of Heaven, and knew death really wasn’t so bad after all.

 

Every one of our friends and acquaintances who died in 2021, like the Apostle Paul, knew Jesus. That means they have a place in Heaven, and we will see them all again. Like David, we need to talk to ourselves!

 

“Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me?

“Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God.”

~Psalm 42:11


But other things, like the reality of some loved ones not knowing Jesus and not being around for holidays, or people you love going through the fire … oh, sometimes don’t you wish you could trade places with them? Never let apathy set in -- those concerns don’t go away with a shrug. What it takes is earnest, continuing prayer for them, faith that God has heard, and then coming back again and again until you see the answer. It also takes helping them if you can and being an encouragement. 

 

A dear friend of mine is divorced, her daughter died years ago, and her two grandsons are homosexual and living on the opposite side of the country. She lives in an oppressive state, alone except for her cat and her mother who’s on the brink of death. What can she be thankful for on Thanksgiving? Maybe a warm shower?

 

In her case, the biggest blessing is that she knows Jesus, and she shares her testimony of a vision of Jesus when she was first saved, how He held her in His arms, and how she can never forget the sweetness of the moment. Ahhh, that’s everything! I too have known Him closely, and the memory of His voice is not dimmed.

 

When the well runs dry, ladies and gentlemen, there’s still Jesus.

 

When the food runs out, there’s still Jesus.

 

When the friends are all gone and you are alone, there’s Jesus, a Friend who sticks closer than a brother.

 

When the world is falling apart, Jesus is still the Rock, our Fortress.

 

In the Book of John, Jesus is quoted 25 times starting His sentences with “Most assuredly,” or in the King James Version, “Verily, verily.”This means Jesus is stating absolute truth.

 

Here are a couple of them:

 

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

  ~John 5:24

 

“Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death."

~John 8:51

 

The very biggest blessing on Earth is knowing the Savior in Heaven!

 

Father God, this is my prayer, that those reading my blog all would know Jesus. There is nothing more certain in these uncertain times. Touch them and save them, that they, along with me, would have the ultimate blessing to be thankful for. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment